Spring is finally here and it won’t be long until we can all pull out our summer gear again.
Although we all look forward to sunning it up in summer, spring season can be very exciting too. Everything wakes up all around us, the trees, the grass, flowers and even the animals awake from their long winter sleep.
Spring is a time for gardening, DIY, swimming and other outdoor activities. Whatever may be on your agenda, electrical safety should be an important part of your plans.
Here are 10 Top Tips to help you play it safe around electricity when you are outdoors this spring.
1.Always keep power cords and electrical equipment away from water or other wet areas.
2. Look up and look out for overhead power lines before you climb a ladder.
3. Keep materials, tools and your body at least 15 feet away from overhead power lines at all times.
4. Never fly kites or model airplanes near power lines.
5. Before every use, inspect power tools and electric lawn mowers for frayed power cords and broken plugs.
6. Keep your tools unplugged and stored in a dry place when they are not in use.
7. Before you trim tree limbs and shrubs, be careful of any power lines that could be hidden.
8. Do not use electrical-powered mowers on wet grass or use them around water.
9. Always use insulated extension cords designed for outdoor use.
10. Treat all electric lines with caution and respect, even the low-voltage electric lines and cords.